Friday 3 October 2014

Halloween 2014 - Dorothy & Glinda from Wizard of Oz

Halloween 2014


Is it weird that I don't really celebrate Christmas 
but I do celebrate Halloween?

The only reason I like Halloween is that it is a perfect excuse to sew some costumes.
The kids would argue that the lollies are the best reason.

This year I went all out and purchased costume patterns.
My 6 year old wanted to go as Dorothy from Wizard of Oz.

I used the Simplicity 4139  pattern.



I decided to make it following the pattern exactly.


How neat is that zipper ;)


I did, however, struggle to line up the bodice at the side seams completely.
Luckily it is hidden as it is under the arms.


I found the perfect sparkly red shoes at Kmart 
but unfortunately they were all too small.
I decided to have a go at making some myself.
I started with these silver shoes.


And with a little fabric glue and red glitter,
they came out like this :)


I made the Glinda costume from the same pattern for my 3.5 year old.
She thought she was going as a princess but when I told her 
she was a good witch she was so upset, 
so we pretended Glinda was a princess :)


I really stepped out of my comfort zone with this dress as it was 
my first time sewing with taffeta and tulle.


I am reasonably happy with the result.
I am probably the most unhappy that I was unable to find the 
apricot coloured fabric that Glinda's dress should have been.


And now for the best bit of all, the photo shoot ;)

















xxx

3 comments:

  1. You do go all out making costumes ;) These are wonderful! Love the dresses, and well done on the shoes! A good witch is almost the same as a princess, right ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing costumes - that Dorothy one looks like a lot of work, but since your daughter makes a perfect Dorothy, I'm sure it was well worth it! Your Glinda is so very sweet too. I can completely understand why a 3-year-old would rather call herself a princess :). Hope you have a great Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous costumes, Sherry and an awesome photo shoot. All little 3 year olds want to be princesses dressed in pink dresses.

    ReplyDelete