Sunday 4 January 2015

Snow White Costume

Snow White Costume

My youngest daughter was wearing her big sisters Snow White 
costume the other day. When I walked into her room I found her crying.
She had taken off the costume and I was not sure why she was upset.
She said "I am never wearing that dress again!" 
When I asked why she replied "because it falls off my shoulders"

I knew it was too big for her but didn't realise it was that big a deal.
I told her that I would make her a new Snow White costume, one that fits :)


I used the original dress as inspiration along with this tutorial

Original Dress

I also used the basic peasant top pattern from this book as a basis for the dress.
From memory the patterns in this book run a little small so I opted for a size 5.
After sewing it up it was obviously too big around the waist so 
I just sewed a little elastic along the waist seam to bring it in a little. 
It just means my girl will get plenty of wear before I need to make a bigger one.

Before I had even finished the dress my girls had grabbed an apple 
and were ready for a photo shoot. I guess I have trained them well ;)





My kids have now put in their order for a Belle dress and an Aurora Dress!
At least I know it has been a success :)








2 comments:

  1. Hi Sherry!
    I saw your post at the Sew and Tell group! I love the dress you made, I have a thing for long dresses and skirts, haha!
    I'm Athina from Greece and my blog is craftaholic.gr Nice meeting you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two adorable dresses, Sherry!!! Using a peasant style dress makes it easier to sew, while still retaining the Snow White look.

    ReplyDelete